Finding a Professional Dog Trainer Near You
Dog training is an unregulated industry so don't simply pick the closest local dog trainer, do your research to determine if the trainer is going to be the right fit for you and your canine companion. The following is a quick check list that can help you:
- Does the dog trainer have excellent Google reviews? Make sure the reviews are from local customers and take the time to check the integrity of both good and bad reviews as some may be fake.
- Is this a franchise training facility using inexperienced trainers just to turn a quick profit, or a professional dog trainer with education and years of experience?
- Does the trainer offer a free evaluation? Know that professional dog trainers and behavior specialists in high demand are paid for their time.
- Where will the training sessions take place? Those who come to you for in-home private lessons are typically still learning and looking to gain experience. Professional dog trainers will require you to travel to them where they are better equipped to help you and can control the environment and any distractions, much like your veterinarian.
- Make sure the dog trainer uses tools and training methods that you are comfortable with and can explain the science behind them. The best dog trainers will also guarantee their training, offering unlimited follow-up at no additional charge.